Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A very interesting day.....

I had a mixture of emotions today.


Weird....since i am generally feeling only one most of the time......
.
.
.

yes.....i am a happy scrawny chap......almost always. Except for today.....

I felt elated , annoyed , disgusted and challenged today.

I am currently working on a project here in NTU , and i am learning loads. Really. It involves a lot of improvisation, planning and fabrication and soft skills.

Soft skills needed to deal with lab and workshop technicians to get their help in fabricating parts and in obtaining materials and contacts for getting complex parts.

Fabricating skills needed when you come up against a disgruntled and moody lab technician who refuses to help.

And i was soo damn elated today because of one thing. My team took delivery of a crucial component in our project on Saturday. And it was not ideally manufactured to our needs. It took us (and i'm not kidding) only 2 days to plan and fabricate new parts to modify that component.

And the awesome thing is....

OUR MODIFICATION WORKED ON THE FIRST TRY!!!!!!!! The prof supervising us insisted he be called to witness if the component worked (he had been incredulous when we suggested the initial design)...and then he said:

"Its your baby now, i will only be holding you back. Its all in your hands now. You want to modify anything..go ahead and do it"

translation from a colleague:

"He's impressed"

*wide grin*

Nothing beats the elation from pulling off the technically challenging...........


On a different note:

I crossed over to Johor today to buy my bus ticket home. Bought a Mara Liner ticket to the Putra World Trade Centre for RM 31 (compared to SGD 30 for tickets from Singapore...hehe).
.
.
.
.

But i am so damn disgusted and pissed after doing so.......people can be such animals.....

I got on SBS no. 170 from Larkin in Johor, and as i was i line, i saw this little old lady. Now she caught my eye cos she was the typical little old malay lady you see in the Lat comics....


She was soo wrinkled and soo..........Malaysian...that i could not help staring.....

*yes yes, i have been in Singapore for too long*

And so , she being old, i naturally stepped aside to let her get on first. And then i got annoyed and pissed and disgusted all at once.

Cause just as little old malay lady was shuffling up towards me, this poor excuse for a man and a human (am of opinion roaches are more noble than this piece of work)......this chap...he moved forward fast with his bag, cut the old lady off, and tried to board the bus!

I moved fast (bear with the bragging a bit ppl......) and placed my arm firmly across the door and his path. Chap then stopped short and stared at me.

I stared down at him (i am tall, and i am now taller than BC ......NTU ppl, you know what i mean).

Then i gestured towards the old lady and held my arm until she got there. Then i calmly moved my body towards the man and made room for lil old malay lady to board. And then i boarded after giving him a dirty look.

BOOYAH!!!!!!!

On a serious note...i am very disgusted with society these days. More so with Malaysians. I remember the days of civl behaviour and decency and courtesy back in my school days. Its all gone now.......

I won't go too far and suggest Singaporeans are more courteous.......I SAY THEY ARE!!!!!

Here's why:

I arrived in Boon Lay at 9.30pm and as i was standing in the SBS no. 199 line, I saw people in the 179 line actually moving aside and giving way to an old chap with a walking stick when the bus came. It may seem a very natural thing to do, but after seeing the state of things back home, i must admit, it was astonishing....to me at least.

199 was late by the way......very very late (i was waiting for 25 mins)...and when it did arrive, a very flustered driver opened its doors and here's the cool bit.....

SHE APOLOGISED FOR THE DELAY AND SMILED WARMLY AT EVERYONE WHO ENTERED THE BUS!

Not only that.....she kept the warm smile even as i alighted at the Hall 8 bus stop.

I dunno, somehow now....Singapore feels soo much more civilised than home. It feels warmer even. I feel welcome whenever i return for a semester. I feel safer than i do at home.

Its not a perfect country, i will admit that.

But it has treated me much better in a year than my own country has in the past, and i take my hats off to that.


Cheers from the,

matrix