Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Awe Of IBM's ability to return from the depths of Hell


I own a Lenovo Thinkpad T61.


It can be dropped from the top of Everest and it would still work.


I fact i did drop it twice on some long flights of stairs , picked it up , and calmly turned it on.

It is unnerving. I have gone from a chap who used to start hyperventilating when his home comp (which by the way is a dusty old Pentium 3 , running Windows 98 , recently upgraded to an AMD 2.0 and now running Windows XP ) shut down unexpectedly....
.
.
.
.
to a dude who has the uncanny ability to continue munching on a bar of Cadbury's Mixed Nuts chocolate bar after winessing his 1 year old IBM's refusal to boot despite multiple shutting downs in the most brutal manner ........
.
.
..... by turning off the power....


Okay , my laptop is pretty lousy when it comes to graphics. Its running Intel's onboard graphics card , which makes your old VGA camera on that old mobile you USED to have....look good.

But, it does come with something most other laptops don't have. A hidden proprietory utility software which basically becomes your operating system if you will, in times of crisis.


What you can do with this is , if you have an external hard drive, plug it in and back up all your data to it AND make it bootable with 2 clicks. So basically, you can now run your external HD from your friend's comp by selecting to boot it on startup.

In my case however , my Roomie happens to run an IMac , which uses a different HD format, so i jus did this:

3 clicks to reformat and restore my entire computer from my external HD. Its idiot proof. Took hours though, but within 12 hours, i'm back blogging about it.


The THING even restored my setting on Firefox 3 which i customised.And my desktop background was unchanged.

It was as if nothing had ever happened to my comp.

And so , I am now proud to say that I do run a very ugly and reliable IBM.