Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ambition


You gotta have ambition to have purpose in life.

This is what i believe in. A person without ambition, or drive, is like a feather drifting in the wind. Ambition need not necessarily translate into big earth shaking ideas or achievements. Simple short term goals would do. Something to give us hope and something for us to look forward to and to work towards.

I get bored easily during the holidays, which is why i hardly bother going home for long periods and instead prefer staying on campus, working on my research, which btw, is on hiatus indefinitely until i can find the time to pick it up again.

Makes me feel bad sometimes to make claims for hours spent in the lab in front of the microscope, testing pump designs that end up failing and being frustrated when something Suky and I designed which we were sure would work, ends up failing. Or gets clogged up with particles rendering 4 hours effort in making it going to waste. Gah.

Am so looking forward to my internship next semester.

Applied to Mazda in Hiroshima, Japan. Never been to Japan before. Dad is of opinion its a plastic society, with its Hello Kitties and cute-sy stuff and quirky vending machines which seem to have no purpose other than putting small sundry shops out of business.

If i do get it, I will be part of a team working on a new mazda prototype. I don't expect to have an active role in designing components for it, honestly do not think a major car company is going to let an intern handle stuff like that. According to a senior who's been on this trip, its pretty fun, with free trips to parts of Japan like Tokyo.

Its a good deal though, I don't get paid, but everything is covered from flight tickets to phone bills and apartment rental and food allowance. Whee, i can take my road bike then and need not worry about extra cost in transporting it =)

Got shortlisted by NTU last week and my name's on some list that's been sent to Japan for consideration. *crosses fingers*

I really want this. Singapore is fine, but have absolutely no intention of living here for the rest of my life. Not a really good place to raise a family in my opinion. Australia is the most ideal. I really want to live in Melbourne or Sydney. Perth's fine too.

Guess its something about the liberal state of affairs in Australia. Singapore has an absymal history of social and political freedom. You can't say what you want freely and i think this will be the downfall of this country in the long run. The singapore model works currently, as this nation is still developing and needs a firm guide and LKY has done wonders with his iron fisted rule of law. I respect that. But there has to come a time for him to just let go. Frankly i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anyway, am going to bed. Been a long day =))


Cheers from the:

Matrix