Thursday, October 15, 2009

Punishing Thursday

Just got "initiated" by the NTU road team. And i was unfortunate enough to be caught in a ride with the sickest bunch of riders NTU has to offer barring one psycho who happily did not turn up.

Was amused to see my machine being prod and looked at from all angles as comments about the retro bars and cranks were made. And then they grinned at each other and insructed me to draft The Machine, a sick psycho individual with the ability to keep pedalling away at over 35kmh non stop and never lets up.

Let me clarify a few terms here for the benefits of non cyclists. To go fast easily, road riders draft each other in a pack. The group forms into a line or in a v shape, with the apex or front being taken up by a strong rider. This chap cuts the air in front, shielding the riders behind him from air resistance and allowing them to follow in his slipstream enabling everyone to ride fast.

In the even the lead rider tires down, he drops to the rear and the one directly behind him takes over.

We pushed at over 30km/h for 60km, at least i did. The 3 sickest fellas just pushed on and left me in the care of a willing roadie, and at this point i felt weak and useless. No matter, pushed on we did past the cold lonely backroads at Newtie past Sembawang and into the torturous gradients of Mandai and into Upper Thomson, and I ended up getting lost near Newtie.

Entirely my fault actually for giving up and slacking , totally unaware that my the main 3 riders were still pushing hard and so was my company and then i found myself all alone at 9.30pm on the dual carriageway famous flanked by dense bush and darkness, the lonely backroads of Singapore famous for contributing a lot towards the large collection of Russel Lee stories of the supernatural.

Cycled slowly, just trying to survive and keep going, and then it hit me. A section of road where mist rolled , blurring the yellow street lights, where a sudden cold blast of air hit me from the front, quickly enveloping me. Broke out in cold sweat, and then as if possesed, geared my ultegras all the way up, and started pedalling furiously.

Came across a taxi in front, and simply overtook aqnd flew past him. Heard a loud angry honk, and looked down at my speedo:

53.3km/h
Let up and caem across a lone rider waiting in the darkness, Nearly flipped out thinking supernatural thoughts and heard the familiar call of "YUVA!".
And so we pushed on into NTU, and then these sick idiots made an unexpected turn up the SBS slope, for all intents and purposes, to burn up their remaining energy and mental strength before getting food and drinks.
Died again, got off my bike and walked up, cursing and swearing loudly with every step.
Damn, I am so weak......
Cheers from a not so feeling strong,
Matrix