Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Meet trekkie =)












Trekkie and me on our 250km anniversary....


For those wondering, no, I am not about to set up a facebook profile for my new bike, and then link that profile with mine using the "Yuva is married to Trekkie" update on your fb news feeds....

As you would have guessed, i have officially made the transition from trail riding to road racing. For safety reasons mostly.

I broke my arm in March, and despite me thinking its alright, it is not. I cannot sustain a game of badminton for more than 4 matches, i cannot do chin ups anymore, and it hurts when i jump my old bike over obstacles on the trail.

That and the fact that if i were to fall on my right arm on the trails, the bone will shatter again, has made me decide to give up the sport until i graduate at least.

Road biking is different. Its more punishing. To be decent, and to ride with groups, an expected speed of 30-35 km/h is expected out of a rider, constantly for 60km plus. The bikes being mostly less than 10kilos, running on super slim tires and really big cranksets (gears) should be pushed at those speeds.

In case you're wondering how safe doing 35-40km/h is, its not. A fall on a road bike results in bad burns (you land on the freaking road at 30km/h plus for god's sake). But it sure beats falling on rocks and having your balls rammed hard everytime you go over an unexpected pit on the trails.

Plus, it allow me to ride more often and with more people in large groups. Mountain biking is impossible during semester, difficult to find kakis and the trails are far.

Oh, i'm on the brink of clocking 300km on trekkie since getting her 3 weeks ago. Been 300km of pain, but its so worth it. I feel healthier, happier, more motivated and focused on my work.

And now, back to my tutorials.




Cheers from the,

Matrix