Tuesday, September 29, 2009

When i look back, i wonder if guardian angels really are true....


I ride a bicycle and yes, i am one of those rare Malaysian youths without a driver's license. Now my family, more specifically my mom, has the idea that bicycles on roads are suicide. Which is probably why she's constantly nagging me not to ride on the roads.

"Do you want to fall and break an arm?"

Yeah ....... fast forward a month after she uttered those words after reluctantly granting me permission to get my first proper non-rusting aluminium hardtail mountain bicycle (my previous one was an Aleoca my aunt bought for me to share with my cousins, which btw rusted to bits in her house. Loved that bike) , i had landed myself in hospital with the constant disapproving looks from my elder brother to keep me company on a daily basis.

What followed was a tongue lashing from my mom and a "toughen up, athletes go through this" from my dad and a blanket ban on anything with 2 wheels.

Now i am utterly stubborn. While my arm was still in a sling, i felt ready to oblige my mother's order to me to sell my Jamis. I even posted an ad online offering to let it go for SGD450 , a 150 dollar knockdown price from its true value. Yes, its a good bicycle, albeit a bit heavy.

This decision took a U-turn as i got fitter and my legs itched to feel the familiar burn from pedalling at the utmost limit and i sneakily started riding again.

My mom, being the telepathic wonder-woman she was, found out, and what followed was a 2 month silent disapproval mood until she finally relented seeing that this was one aspect of my life she really had no say in.

I took my hobby a little further and jumped on circulating rumors that a NTU cycling team was being set up. Found the chap who was doing it, and hopped on the bandwagon and smack into a new clique of like minded people, some nutters, but fun nevertheless.



All was going jolly, i had even forgotten that short stint in hospital.



And then i had a nasty reminder of how negligent i had become, which got me into NUH in the first place.


Its recess week on campus at the moment. One week of freedom to catch up on lectures and to prepare for tests after the break. And after figuring out Dynamics and Control, Machine Component Design and touching a bit on Advanced C programming, that familiar itch came back, and despite me knowing i really should not be cycling alone, i decided anyway to ride a few laps around Lim Chu Kang, an wide open road outside the university, with 8km of glorious painful road per lap.

Completed 3 laps, and then decided to push up into campus and up the same hill where i had my accident. Pushed all the way up, feeling good about myself, and then proceeded to ride down the otherside as fast as i can.

And as i was zooming towards the same sharp turn at the beginning of the South Academic Complex, a pedestrian crossed the road, and i checked my speed and came to a hurried stop. Let his pass, and tried to push off again. And lo behold, the same brakes that had jammed the first time , cauing me to flip my bike and crash into the road at 30kmh had jammed yet again. Took one look, freaked out, dislodged the brakes and wheeled the bicycle down the hill back to hall.

Had that pedestrian not crossed at that exact time, had i not braked when i was not at my maximum speed before the turn, I would have flipped again, and this time, i would not have been so lucky.


Yes, lucky.


Cause back in March, i was riding at 11.30pm, the roads were wet, my tyres were not as good as the WTB Motoraptors i'm currently using, I had no phone to call for help, nor had I water for dehydration.

Had I landed on my head and not on my arm, I would not be here today. Had campus security not happened to chance by 5 minutes later, i would have gone into shock and suffered from blood loss. If a car was coming up that slope just as i crashed, i would have been run over. Had Garen, Raj and Ain not been in the South Spine studying at that moment, campus security would have no idea who i was. Had i not been operated on in a hurry, my arm could have been infected from by the tar and grit that was coating the end of the bone happily poking its way through the flesh.

So many things could have gone horrible wrong. And it all only hit me as i was wheeling my bicycle back to hall.


Yes, i admit now, my arm is not fully back to normal. Every now and then it hurts a little when i stay for long in an air-conditioned room as the metals contract. But i gotta thank my lucky stars that not only is it in one piece, but retains the same strength as before.




Cheers from a feeling lucky,


Matrix