Sunday, May 10, 2009

Of flooded jungles, muddy bikes and broken limbs





YES! We survived!



My roomie and I have had our share of injuries


Him crushing his ankle during rubgy and breaking it.

And me taking a spill and enjoying bone tearing through my forearm.

We both have had metal plates inserted in said injured are, only diff being mine's permanent. And so, me being a tad bit impatient to get my arse back on the saddle, decided to hit the Tampines mtb trail with him.

It was a bit of a bad decision thinking of it now. It had rained only hours before and as expected, the whole trail was flooded and muddy. No matter, though we came out with our bikes dyed a lovely brown, it was so damn worth it.

Perhaps this may come across as quite unfathomable, but really, pushing your bike through muddy and flooded trails, soaking your socks, risking life and limb , and clearing obstacles with jumps is pretty darn fun.

And today i truly learnt, u need not spend a lot in pimping your bike with the latest components. You just need goor tyres, good disc brakes, and your set to have fun!

Which reminds me, high time i ditched those lousy Maxxis tyres and upgrade to Kenda Nevegals. And new disc brakes if i have cash later on.

Tampines is my 3rd trail, and Roomie's first. The easiest and most ultra fun ride i have ever had. We followed a more experienced rider into the jungle trail and boy was it flooded. Water coming up to your pedals, mud caking the bike as we tortured them......


goatee! I kind of look older with it....



bikes we tortured


Wella



Jamis


3 buck wash. I think its worth it. Trust me, when u reach home at 8pm, with blitzed legs, you DO NOT want to wash your bike.


Louis Garnieu bike gloves. WAAAY more comfy than my old Reeboks. Damn paramedic who cut it off...


Word of wisdom. If you cycle frequently, INVEST in a good pair of gloves and a good helmet. And WEAR the helmet and gloves everytime you go for a ride. Gloves prevent sweaty palms from slipping on grips. Helmet protects ur noggin' . WEAR the damn thing if u have it. Better off surviving a headlong crash rather than looking like a geek.


Cheers from the,

Matrix