Thursday, April 29, 2010

Its been a while.....

This blogs taken a back burner to pretty much everything else for the past month or two.

Its been quite a roller coaster of a month, what with upping my cycling frequency and juggling 2 projects, my IA Final Report  (80 done!)  at work. Just completed one awesomely long and complicated C program that's been sent over to be used in a gas power plant in Bangkok and if it weren't for this whole Red Shirt fiasco, i'd be flying to Thailand before the end of my internship. The program's a beauty. It estimates the performance of  the power plant in real time, with a 2 minute cycle in between computations. And i also included a sweet graphical user interface to make it user friendly :



where the plant operators enter manual values for different plant operating conditions.


Damn.....

I have come to realise one thing during my internship.


I HATE WORKING FOR AND ANSWERING TO SOMEONE.


Seriously, working for someone sucks. You don't have the luxury to fiddle and really think out a problem when someone is always breathing down your neck, pushing you to set unrealistic deadlines and constantly checking up on you everyday.

I may be an intern, but come on, when i say once that i know what i am doing, please just trust me and leave me alone until I deliver. Crucify me later if i fail, but don't come breathing down my neck every damn day.

On that note, I have decided to apply to Harvard's and MIT's business schools. Both have very good MBA programs which include a 6 month internship and loads of networking opportunities. MIT has an awesome dual degree program which combines engineering and management.

I'll be honest here, all I ever want is just a good balance in my everyday life. I want time to enjoy my hobbies, cycling being the major one. And i can't get that sort of time in a 9-5 job which requires me to rush projects constantly.

I have done 32 hours of OT this month alone, and i'm not the hardest working intern at my work place. I am so going to be pissed if i don't get an A for my IA.

I mean, whats the point of working if you don't get to enjoy life? I enjoy kicking back with a beer and a good book or melting my legs on an all out bicycle sprint with friends on a weeknight after work.

I was toying with the idea of applying for the various graduate fellowships NTU keeps emailing me about, but research has never been my passion. I don't enjoy researching something that probably won't earn make it to the industry any time soon. Perhaps pharmaceuticals is a hot research area with rapid product movement form lab to marketplace, but not robotics.


Cheers from the,


Matrix