Monday, April 5, 2010

RIP Ben Mok




For one who truly knew why we do what we do. 

RIP Ben Mok


I get bewildered stares from my mates as they try to decipher the money and time spent on the sport. All for the pain, the risk for what seems like a futile effort at reducing emissions. For all you hippies, its not what its all about. We ride for the joy, the satisfaction after overcoming pain and lactic acid to keep up with the pack, scale a mountain, pushing when mere mortals would simply give up and fall back.

Noone will ever understand cycling except the men and women who burn rubber on the tarmac, the dirt, the mud and the pavement. Don't even try to.

I never knew Ben Mok. Nor will I pretend i heard of his name before this tragedy. I'm not a vengeful person, but for that drunk driver who mowed him down, may the rest of your life be one filled with misery and regret.

I once again sound out a plea to drivers. Give us quarter. Cause if you don't, you'll probably have our blood on your hands.

Link to the memorial website