Saturday, May 29, 2010

Playtime's Over, lets get serious



Another teary goodbye...

I'm getting pretty serious about cycling now. Was out with Sher Han on an unplanned 70km ride yesterday and the limitations of my much loved Trek was apparent on the steep slope of Mt Faber and the sluggish feeling of the frame on the sprints along LCK and in Mandai.

High time i got myself something lighter and stiffer, yet comfy enough for long rides and it musn't be all carbon fibre. Most important of all, the scrooge in me demanded an awesome bike for below SGD800. 

Behold :


2009 Fuji Roubaix RC


I located the frame going for SGD500 on the second hand market. Knocked the price down to SGD450 after weeks of thinking and trying to look for something better after which purchasing would leave my bank account at a healthy balance. The Cervelo S1 was my initial target, but with framesets going for SGD1000 second hand, it was a tad bit too rich for my taste. And besides, as I had planned to transfer the old yet reliable Shimano 105 gruppo from the Trek, the Cervelo wasn't my choice in the end. A frame like that deserves better components and future Yuva will see to that.

The weight weenie bug bit me when i went down to inspect the frame. Settled on getting a new aluminium seat post and handlebar to replace the steel bits i had on the Trek. Though a far cry from the carbon fibre stuff, u can't complain about something picked up for less than SGD35 each.

Got new blinkers too, wanted to replace the bashed up stuff on the Trek. Requested the mechanic to do a thorough degreasing and polishing of the gruppo before assembly and one of his buddies offered to do a proper bike fit for me.

As a cherry on the cake, I got matching red Panaracers. Slick ones in hopes of me going faster, though with the limitation of not being to ride in the rain. Not that I should too anyway.

Looking forward to an awesome summer of racing, riding, studying and starting my FYP!

Its awesome when you have goals to work towards.


Cheers from the,

Matrix