Saturday, March 21, 2009

I cannot understand the 5.0 mentality

I used to be an underachiever. I used to settle for so much less. I mean this in quite another way. Truth be told, i wasted my time trying to always be the best at academics throughout my school life. I think it would have been relevant back then, but i could have done so much more and still retained my grades.

And i vow this shall not continue.

it truly sickens me when almost everyone i meet on campus are paranoid about getting a cap of like 4.5 plus plus. I guess it stems from the general perception that a first class honor means better job opportunities and pay grade.

Now i do not know how relevant that is to other degrees. I know this for sure, mechanical engineers, get your fat arses off your books and get your hands dirty in projects, even small ones that seem insignificant.

People in industry want balanced people. People with knowledge from books, and at the same time, apt enough to know what the hell is an M4 screw. I will be frank here. I am no longer aiming for a cap of above 4.0 . Will take any GPA above that now as a bonus (currently on 4.12)

Its tiresome to keep mugging to keep ur GPA high for some pointless reason and simply to satisfy your ego. I have bigger fish to fry. I want to design products in my free time and i want to enter them into the numerous online design competitions i see whenever i go visiting my favourite design websites.

I want to break free from the monotone that is a mugger's life on campus. A person obsessed with grades. A person with hardly any sense of adventure, fun and is not a risk taker. And i shall. Keep watching this space...



Cheers from a very clear about what he wants,


Matrix