Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Of Egoism And Plain Bad Luck.

I love sports. Despite being a scrawny dude whose weight constantly fluctuates dangerously between 62 (when i exercise regularly and gain 7 kilos of muscles) and 55 (when not exercising like now) i can run 7km in an hour and a half and i take great pride in this ability of mine, so much so that i, unfortunately, sound very boastful when talking about it.

Tit for Tat.


This pride was my downfall last friday, a weekend before the first A2 final papers. I was tackling the 8km route in Taman Duta near Kenny Hills and dad was waaaaaaaaay behind. Now due to the steep hills here, i prefer to warm up by brisk walking the first 4km and running the last 3.5 before going into a sprint for the last 500 or 300m. Brother was with me and he is this 6 feet pudgy dude with a body i envy. The reason is, unlike me, he has the bone structure and the mass for body building, and he simply wastes it by sitting around and putting on what can only be described harshly as a beer belly.

So, on the last 4km, i needled him into running with me and he took up the challenge. He was pretty good, could keep up with me for 2km and then, i got cocky and went into a sprint for the top of the hill. As it levelled out, i glanced back to take a good look at him puffing away and right at that instant, disaster struck.

There was this tiny durian i didn't see on the road, about the size of two fists. My left foot stepped right on it and twisted, throwing me onto the grass at the side. The first fear was.."F***k, did i break it?" as i couldn't get up after that. Bro came up, took a good look and had a laugh before helping me to sit up.


To cut the long story short, i had to be carted off home, soaked my leg in hot water and salt before letting the infra-red lamp take care of the rest. The next day, had it examined and luckily it was just a bad sprain. I somehow managed to hobble to college (mom dropped me) and now these two weeks are hell before the next paper. Can't go running, no tennis, no football..i can't even pretend to play a guitar in the showers cause it involves moving the leg a lot and that hurts.



Yeah, being egoistical about something you can do well can be your downfall.

Cheers.